Thursday, October 1, 2009

I am the best Nanny EVER!

The random facts:


1)These are my favorite kids in the world. Even on days like this.


2) The distance from their house to Walmart is less than a mile and takes less than 10 minutes to walk. You can see it from their street.

3) Apparently it is now proven that Swedish Fish can cure blindness

I have the luckiest jobs in the world. One morning this summer, I went to my nanny job. I watch three kids: Chris, Michael and Abby. It started as a normal morning at work. I didn’t know this would end up being the day I found out that I am the worst nanny ever. Well, not really. I am a great nanny and I love it. My boss Carol was announcing the day’s activities. There were the normal ones such as have the kids get dressed, do their chores, and so on. That day she also asked us to go to Walmart to pick up some things for her. And she requested that we walk to Walmart so that the kids didn’t sit around all day. I smiled and agreed. It sounded fun to me. Carol left to go to work. The kids were still asleep. When they woke up, I fed them and began the morning routine. Usually, they incessantly ask “What are we gonna do today?” and this morning, I already had an answer. “Well,” I replied “We are going to walk to Walmart to get some things for your mom” I excitedly answered. “Won’t that be fun?”

As though I was giving them a choice, they all promptly answered.

Abby, always the polite princess: “No thanks Kirs.”

Michael: “Nooooo. I don’t want to! I hate walking!”

Chris: “THERE IS NO WAY YOU ARE MAKING ME WALK THERE! I’LL STAY HOME!!”

I happen to be very patient. I listened to them complain until they all figured out that I was not kidding and staying home by themselves wasn’t an option. They got their shoes on and we headed out the door. What was an absolutely beautiful California day suddenly turned into

“OH my gosh it is sooooooo hot today!”

Before we got to the end of the driveway I heard

“Did you bring a snack?”


“I am sooooooo thirsty!!”

We began the treacherous walk to Walmart. They seemed to have forgotten that they didn’t want to be walking to Walmart. Abby was skipping. Michael was chasing birds. Chris was telling me about his quest to win his latest DS game. But all of the sudden things went very wrong.

The five minute walk was too much for Chris to handle. He saw a dead rabbit in the bushes which started a fit of hysterics.

“OH MY GOSH! I MIGHT AS WELL BE THAT DEAD RABBIT. MY ARM IS PROBABLY GOING TO FALL OFF BEFORE WE GET THERE. YEP IT IS I CAN FEEL IT. ITS JUST COMING OFF RIGHT NOW. AND NOW I CAN’T EVEN SEE OUT OF ONE EYE. OH MY GOSH I AM GOING BLIND. I KNEW THIS WAS THE WORST IDEA. WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME COME ON THIS STUPID WALK?!”

He sat down on the sidewalk. After a few minutes, I convinced my half blind friend that I would guide him to Walmart. He agreed and we continued on the other five minutes of our journey. Once inside Walmart, there was almost another riot when I explained that they could look on the toy aisles but they couldn’t buy anything. We got the things on Carol’s shopping list and went to the checkout. I had three tired (cuz it was such a long walk…) and uncooperative children, one of which was still half blind and about to loose a limb. Michael grabbed a box of Swedish fish from the checkout aisle. “Can we all share these please?” I said “If I get you guys that box of Swedish fish do you promise to share them nicely and walk all the way home with no complaining?”

“YES!” They agreed.

So that happens to be the best 99 cents I ever spent. Not only did the kids practically float home with no complaining, but Chris was miraculously cured of his blindness.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails