Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Day 1 of my 50 hour Kauai Trip

Kauai is beautiful. Of the three Hawaiian Islands I have been to, I think Kauai is the prettiest. I had a BLAST in Maui and I love living on Oahu but there is something special about Kauai. I was so thankful to be invited by Banana and I had so much fun with her and her family.
Banana and her dad picked me up from the airport. He was so nice to come get me in the spiffy red car. The airport is small and the flight from Honolulu to Kauai was only 20 minutes. On the way to the hotel we drive through one of the famous attractions in Kauai, the tunnel of trees. Very cool.
At the hotel, The Point at Poipu, we were entertained by this sign. In case you wanted to know, damp floors can be slippery. I met Hannahs mom, who is wonderful. And two of her six sisters, who I also adore. Kayla read an entire book in 24 hours after pretending not to like the first chapter. And Kristen is just plain hilarious. She likes to eat 2 "Fla-va Ices" at the same time.
 Banana put me to work making peach cobbler. That was great fun because we discovered that the microwave has the best button ever, appropriately named JetStart. We used that button exculsively anytime we were cooking. You can't beat peach cobbler and milk drunk out of goblets.
This show Kayla's excitement after using the JetStart button on the microwave.
We went on a night time adventure where we hiked the Hannah Gibby Trail up and back down again. We walked the elephant path to the swimming pool and
took pictures with the BOM/ Narnia lions along the way.
Perhaps one of the most exciting parts of the evening was when Banana suggested we "walk down this trail in the dark" and we got attacked by bats. We started screaming and running back to the lit pathway but the bats were all over the place and flying really close to our faces. The next day we couquered our fear of that trail, but in the daytime when there were no bats in sight.
Found this nice map that allowed us to figure out that we were on the southern coast of Kauai.
To top things off, we began the first part of a two day tradition of nightly hot tubbing. Found a fun noodle, went in the pool and the kiddie pool and then the spa where we awkwardly sat with all the romantic couples. But that was ok because as Banana so unsucessfully explained to her mother, we used to date. (JUST KIDDING) Only Banana will know what I mean.
I felt bad for the Gibby's because they were on Idaho/Utah time and had to get up so early to catch their plane. I'm adjusted to Hawaii time so I was awake at least long enough to know that Banana was asleep and snoring within 60 seconds of getting in bed. Wonderful day 1!

1 comment:

Janiebelle007 said...

Just so you know, we were delighted to have you with us.

Related Posts with Thumbnails