Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Craft Day: Shall we make an Anthropologie look-a-like?

Before we get started, let me let you in on a little pet peeve of mine in the crafting world.
I hate it when people say they are going to make a look alike to an expensive item. Then they make it and it looks ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like the original.
Then, to cover their mistake, they just say "Well this is what I was making but mine turned out much cuter!"
Or "I put my own spin on it..."
UMM yeah right, chances are it is not cuter.
BUT if it is cuter, then just say "Hey check out my adorable tutorial!"
Instead of "Check out my copy-cat (that doesn't look a thing like the original) tutorial"
Ok enough of that.
Presenting my as-close-as-possible Anthropologie Necklace look a like
5/8" Hand-dyed silk ribbon from M&J Trimming and Fabric Town.
Be careful, there is tons of cute stuff on M&J.
I used about 4 yards each necklace.
All the pretty rainbow ribbons :)
Necklace from Forever, or course. It was like 3 dollars.
It had 4 strands and we needed only 2 so we cut 2 off.

Then we cut all the ribbon into 3.5" strips with adorable pinking shears.
And painstakingly tied two at a time onto the necklace with a square knot 
We used kind of a rainbow pattern, but it came out pretty random looking so I don't know if it matters.
Mine is this one.
 Anthropologie's is this one

I love it and I get tons of compliments on it!

17 comments:

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Your necklace is sooo cute! I'm so glad you sent me the link. And yes - that is one of the tutorials/giveaways for next week!
I agree with you - if it's not the same maybe they could say - "inspired" rather than knockoff haha. :)
Thanks for stopping by!!

Diane's Photography said...

Love it Kirsi, maybe I should come hang out with you girls one day in your creative craft room...

Tasha said...

Ohh I love it. beautiful ribbon. It will go with so many different outfits too. Beautiful. Thank you for linking it up!!!

Terrell said...

Ok, I have GOT to get busy and make one of these!! It's adorable!! Thank you oh so very much for linking your creations up at my party today! I'm so happy you came by and I am your newest follower! I'd love to have you as a friend @ Frou Frou Decor!! :D Wishing you a wonderful weekend,
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

A Little Bit of Everything! said...

So cute! I could so do this. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Very cute! I love the way it came out!

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

So fun!

Melissa said...

This is a brilliant knock off. I think I might even like yours better! You are more than welcome to come by and link up @ my place today!
http://untilwednesdaycalls.blogspot.com/

Kelley said...

Flipping cute~ I love the colors in the ribbon.

Have a great day!

Katie from ABC&123: A Learning Cooperative said...

Love the necklace! It turned out so cute. I bet it matches just about every shirt in your wardrobe! Thanks for linking to Show and Tell.

Michelle L. said...

Super pretty, and such a great tutorial!

Sandy Ang said...

What a great use for ribbon scraps !

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said...

Wow! I love it!
How creative!
Thank you for sharing~
Leticia

Ashlee Marie said...

very pretty, I like those ribbons, such pretty colors! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

amycornwell said...

Cute necklace - great idea!

PEACHES said...

oooooooo! Love this. I saw the same Anthro necklace and made something similar with black taffeta, but yours is all rainbowy and soft and fabulous....LOVE IT! Hmmm...I may need to go back and do this again now I have seen yours :) Well done!

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

So cute!! Great work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails