Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Crabbing is a favorite activity of my fam.

I will warn you in advance, the problem is that we have been crabbing many times and only caught one crab. Ever.
Sometimes we catch mutant starfish and squid.
It's still fun anyway.
Here's Hannah Banana after the sea lions scared her to death when we went down the stairs to visit one. We named our favorite one Slicky and tried to feed him a little fish snack, but he wasn't interested. Those snobby sea lions apparently didn't like 99 cent fish imported from India.
Here are Mac and Puff baiting the traps. Mommy came along but she opted for the "nap in the car" kind of crabbing. It was cold. We read on a red-neck website that you should just wrap the fish in foil and set it on your engine while you drive to warm it up and make it all smelly for the crabs. Umm gross.
I got to be the paper towel girl.
The sea lions spoke to us, but only Hannah Banana speaks sea lion. So you'll have to ask her what they were saying.
Getting ready to put the first trap down.
Here I go with mine.

Puff and Mac set their traps.
Next we played Phase 10. In the ideal crabbing sitch, I would say that we played cards while we the crabs fell for our bait and climbed onto the traps. But it didn't really work out.
We didn't finish the card game but I was losing.
See, here we are after the second time pulling up the traps and still NOTHING.
As a bonus, I present a glamour shot of Hannah Banana and me.
As you may know, I hate fish. I will eat soosh and an occasional tuna sandwich but I really don't like whole fish. I braved the fish gloves to pull the fish off the trap and try to feed Slicky again, but instead I just dropped the fish on a sea lions head. He woke up, scared half to death and rolled into the water. I felt bad after I saw how much effort it took him to get back up onto the pier.
Hannah Banana braved the fish gloves as well. Gross.
Hopefully sometime in the near future we will actually catch a crab or two!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

i should probably come back to ask the sea lions the secrets to catching crabs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails